When you’ve been doing something exceedingly well for more than 30 years, it’s easy to forget that excellence is hard work. Velodyne’s been a leader in subwoofers and bass technology for so long that our achievement has seemingly become part of the furniture (no pun).
So how did we get here – and how do we remain the class of the field?
For one thing, we’ve been single-minded for most of our existence. Long before home theater was even a gleam in the consumer electronics industry‘s eye, Velodyne was one of the few companies manufacturing subwoofers. As the audio business evolved, subwoofers found their way into people’s living rooms, but over the course of that evolution, Velodyne continued to make subs and little else — all the while delivering superior, low-distortion bass reproduction.
Today, there are a lot of speaker companies who believe that putting a big speaker in a big box with an amplifier and hitting some crazy dB level is all you need to do to create a quality sub. Velodyne’s legion of loyal consumers knows better. We’ve pioneered and patented some fundamental bass technologies over the years, from accelerometer-based servo systems and DSP tuning to high efficiency amplifiers, equalizer based room correction, and more. Every one is dedicated to recreating the most accurate bass possible.
What’s behind the magic?
- Energy recovery amplifiers – At better than 95 percent efficiency, our ERS digital amplifiers generate less heat and deliver more power, to provide maximum output and reliability without wasting energy.
- DSP Control – Our subwoofers are digitally tuned for greater accuracy, maximizing output while lowering distortion, and providing distinct output parameters that enable consumers to customize the sound to their source.
- Digital high gain servo – Our accelerometer-based servo system measures driver cone movement and compares it to the incoming signal, then adjusts the amplifier accordingly. The result: dramatically reduced distortion.
- Equalizer-based room correction – It’s a given that room variation affects sound reproduction. Relying on real time room analysis, many of our subs can adjust multiple EQ points below 140Hz, thereby tailoring the subwoofer’s output to the specific listening environment and ensuring the most accurate possible playback.
- Massive magnets – The driver’s magnet structure operates much like a car’s engine and brakes; it enables the amp to deliver power to the driver and controls how precisely the speaker cone starts and stops. We’ve long been known for our massive magnets; they ensure our ability to accurately start and stop even the larger driver sizes (think: 18-inch) without the sloppiness that has been known to plague other large drivers.
For decades now, reviewers and retailers alike have attested to our legacy of performance. That support continues to keep Velodyne in the conversation when the topic turns to the best subwoofers on the planet.