EQ-Max 10 Inch Subwoofer
- Product Review (submitted on September 14, 2012):
Compared to my other 10" subwoofer, the JBL Balboa SUB 10 - 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer, you can tell this is a more expensive sub. The sound is exceptionally clean and the response across the low range it covers is very consistent. The lack of certain "boomy" frequencies makes for very tight and clean sounding music. The amount of power for a 10" sub is pretty amazing as well.
- Auto EQ feature. This thing comes with a microphone with a long cable. You plug in the mic and place it where you will be listening. Press the auto eq button and it sweeps through a bunch of frequencies and *automatically sets the EQ to balance out the response curve to your room*.
- Sound. Wow. This thing sounds really clean and tight.
- Remote. At first I though it was silly to have a remote but it has a volume control as well as presets that are very good. Once you've done the auto EQ, then adjusted the volume to be in balance with your other speakers, the sound is fantastic.
- Display. You can turn of the LED display, which is visible under the fabric grille. When on, it shows the volume setting and gives feedback on which mode you are in.
- Footprint. My JBL 10 is taller with a smaller footprint. This thing takes up a good bit of floor space.
- Build. Rounded corners and a tougher fabric grille are needed. I found the sharp corners chip easily and the fabric rips very easily. I'm concerned about long term ware on the fragile enclosure.
Overall, this is the best sounding 10" sub I've tested. I'm a bass player who is the "sound engineer" for recording my band, as a hobby, so I'm very used to being picky about levels, balance, and lower frequencies. This thing sounds really, really good. I hope they improve the enclosure with rounded corners and a tougher grille fabric, because the insides of this thing are top notch.
Overall 4.5 stars. Highly recommended. Sound == Wow.
© Velodyne Acoustics, Inc. All Rights Reserved.