For shipping information, please visit the Shipping & Returns page.
To find an authorized Velodyne dealer near you, please visit our Dealer Locator tool.
To find an approved service center near you, please visit our Service Center Locator tool.
- Can you really get the best bass by experimenting with the sub's placement in the room?
- Yes, the placement of a sub relative to your primary listening location can have a big effect on how good the bass sounds. The first rule of sub placement is "Wherever your significant other is happy with it!" If you have placement flexibility, corner placement will usually result in a 6 dB increase in output, due to the corner loading effect. But corner placement may also exaggerate the room's peaks and valleys, so experiment with placement to see how it sounds best to you.
- If I cannot move my subwoofer to get better bass, can changing the seated listening position help?
- Yes! If the bass sounds "boomy" or too loud, and your favorite chair is against the wall, pulling the chair out just six inches or a foot can make the bass significantly better. If the bass sounds weak, move your chair a foot or two in any direction. The bass will likely become more satisfying. Hint: the very center of the room is often a bad spot for hearing bass, as cancellations are likely to occur there.
- Is the "crawl test" a good subwoofer placement method?
- Yes - it looks funny, but it works!
- Place your sub in the prime listening position - not on the floor, but directly in your favorite chair.
- Play some bass-heavy music (or use swept low-frequency test tones).
- Slowly crawl around the places in the room where the sub might go.
- Put a business card or other identifying mark in those spots where the bass sounds full and natural.
- Listen again at the places where the bass sounds best.
- Place your sub in the spot that sounds best. When you sit and listen, the bass will sound just that good.
- Where do I place twin subwoofers?
- Getting twin subwoofers into a room can significantly improve the bass response, offering a wider "sweet spot", with fewer areas that suffer from weak bass. Twin subs can also lower distortion. There are several approaches to placement, and experimentation is suggested.
- Try placing the subs in opposite corners. This will enhance output from each and offer good coverage throughout the room.
- Place the subs in the center of opposing walls - either the long or short wall of the room will work. This helps negate the room's tendency to cancel bass frequencies.
- One-quarter way down the long wall also can work well. Since aesthetic considerations also matter, experiment with the options that are open to you and trust your ears.
Set-Up & Operation
- What does the phase switch do, and where should I set it?
- Phase allows you to optimize the subwoofer performance for the location and your listening position. Select the switch position at which you hear the most bass.
- Where should I set my cross-over?
The cross-over control allows you to adjust the upper limit of the subwoofer's frequency response. This determines which frequencies will be played by your main speakers, and which by your subwoofer.
If your receiver has a subwoofer output, it is typically best to set the Velodyne's crossover to "subwoofer direct", then use the bass management in your receiver to set the crossover point. This will allow you bi-amp your system, freeing your receiver and speakers from the demands of reproducing the deepest frequencies will result in overall better sound quality. Use the subwoofer's crossover controls if your amplifier does not have or you will not be using a dedicated subwoofer output.
You should set the crossover frequency to obtain a smooth and seamless transition from the main speakers and subwoofer using familiar material. If your main speakers are smaller units with limited low frequency output, you may wish to choose a higher frequency (such as 100 -120 Hz) than you would with larger speakers which have greater low frequency output. With larger speakers, you might start with this control set lower, such as 70 Hz.
- My receiver has only one output, but the subwoofer has two inputs, how do I hook it up / which inputs do I use?
- Using the subwoofer/LFE (low frequency effects) output from your receiver or processor, plug the single cable into the "L" - LFE input or for more signal, use a "Y" connector (not included) and feed the signal into both "R" and "L" inputs.
- Can I use the speaker output terminals to power a pair of satellite speakers?
- No, the subwoofer amplifier provides power to the subwoofer only. The speaker terminals are passive and only pass the signal from your receiver to the main speakers when using high level inputs or when a subwoofer output is not present.
- My subwoofer works great for DVDs, but does not work when I listen to CDs, TV, or stereo. Is it defective?
- No, your subwoofer will not decide to work for some sources but not others. The problem most likely is in your receiver's bass management settings. Some receivers, when the main speakers are set to large and the subwoofer is set to LFE (low frequency effects), will only pass information on the dedicated LFE channel to the subwoofer and not bass on the other channels. Since only DVDs, Blu-ray, and other multi track recordings tend to have a dedicated LFE track, your subwoofer will only receive a signal when listening to this media. When other stereo sources (CD, TV, etc) are played, all of the signal will go to the left and right speakers only, sending no signal to the subwoofer. To correct this you should consult the owner's manual for your receiver on how to adjust your bass management settings. The problem can usually be rectified by switching the main speakers to small instead of large, or setting the subwoofer to "both" or "LFE + L&R".
- My subwoofer does not play loud enough; is there anything I can do?
- Some manufacturers preset their receivers with the Sub-Out (LFE) channel at a minimum level. It is very important to verify that your receiver Sub-Out (LFE) channel is set to the same level as your front right and left channels. Refer to your receiver manual for the individual channel level adjustment procedure. If your receiver Sub-Out channel is set too low, the subwoofer may appear to have a weak output, it may sound noisy or distorted, and the Auto On/Off feature may not operate properly.
- My auto-on circuit is not working consistently; is there anything I can do?
- See above Q & A
- Is it okay to leave my subwoofer on all the time?
- For those subwoofers equipped with AUTO ON, we recommend employing this feature. This setting causes the subwoofer to revert to standby after about 15 minutes of no signal. If your subwoofer does not have the AUTO ON feature, its best to turn the unit off when not in use. For all subwoofers, when leaving home for long periods, turn the unit off and unplug the AC cord.
- What's the minimum wire size recommended?
- We recommend 16 gauge for runs up to 100", 14 gauge for 100"-150", and 12 gauge for runs up to 250".
- What is the best way to hook up two subwoofers to my home theater system?
- Digital Drive subwoofers have a set of thru RCA jacks that pass the signal unmodified to another subwoofer. If you are not using DD subwoofers but are hooking up to a Dolby Digital receiver or processor, use a Y splitter (1 male, 2 female) and route an audio interconnect cable to each subwoofer. If your receiver has two subwoofer output jacks, use one for each subwoofer. A Y splitter can be found at your local electronics store.
- My subwoofer has a connection labeled IR input. What is this for?
- This connection allows you to utilize an aftermarket IR repeater to send remote signals to the subwoofer. This is often desirable in installations where the subwoofer's IR sensor is obscured or hidden. Velodyne has tested and verified compatibility with the Xantech and Elan brand products.
- Which IR repeaters are compatible with Velodyne subwoofers?
- Velodyne subwoofers should work with virtually all IR repeaters that utilize an IR blaster placed on the subwoofer's IR sensor. Additionally some brands will work by plugging a mini-jack into the subwoofer's IR input on the back panel. Velodyne has tested and verified the IR input jack compatibility with the Xantech and Elan brand products.
- When using the Auto-EQ on the Optimum/SPL-Ultra, how much of a difference does microphone placement make?
- When using the One-touch Auto-EQ, place the microphone at the primary listening position, as close to ear height as possible. Most folks listen to music and watch movies at a favorite couch or sofa. Place the microphone on the top of the sofa back, not in the seat itself. This places the mic nearest your ear level, so the Auto-EQ can effectively minimize room difficulties at your preferred seat.
- What are the differences between the Optimum subwoofers and the SPL-R Series?
- The Optimum subs offer many advantages. With a 1,200 watt amplifier, they are able to play at least 3 dB louder than their SPL-R Series predecessors. The front-panel display offers visual confirmation of remote control commands, and the cabinetry is gorgeous. The slim-line remote magnetically attaches to the rear of the cabinet. The Auto-EQ microphone has a front-panel connection for ease of use. Power on/off and volume up/down can be manually controlled at the front panel.
- When using the Auto-EQ on the DEQ-R/CHT-Q, can I extend the mic cable by splicing into it?
- Where can I find the remote codes for my Velodyne subwoofer?
- We don't recommend it. Splicing into the mic cable to extend it can introduce noise into the signal path. That noise can be interpreted by the software incorrectly, resulting in errors to the equalized signal.
- Do the SC-IF/IC (In-Floor/In-Ceiling) and SC-600 IF/IC subwoofers come with a grille?
- A finishing grille is not included with the SC-IF/IC or SC-600 IF/IC, however an optional, paintable grille, the SC-ICG (In-Ceiling Grille) is available.
EaseUS is a leading software developer of backup and security software solutions that was established in 2004. With millions of private and business users in over 180 countries and areas, it now has been a worldly renowned company in its introduction of simple yet robust solutions for data backup, data recovery and storage management. Now, We provide Easeus Coupon Codes
with up to 60% discount!
Are you looking for the latest Wondershare Dr.Fone Coupon Code
? We provide 55% discount coupon code for Wondershare Dr.Fone.